The Sustainable Life: How It’s Done in Minneapolis and St Paul
The popularity of townhomes, lofts, and condos in the Twin Cities is undoubtedly connected with the love for sustainable living shared by so many people in our communities. To be truly sustainable means taking a well-rounded approach. Here are some ways Minneapolis and St Paul residents conserve precious resources, and how to join in.
- Reduce your carbon footprint by using your feet. Twin Cities residents are renowned for cycling or walking to the local markets and cafes—in neighborhoods such as Lowertown in St Paul, with its outstanding farmers’ market. Or consider Linden Hills, Minneapolis, home of the Linden Hills Co-op, which offers Minneapolis residents organic food, locally grown. Linden Hills is a standout leader, too, in encouraging city residents to reduce their carbon footprint while saving electricity.
- Recycle. Yes, it matters. But only if you consume less and reduce waste in the first place.
- Carpool to work and activities, and support public transportation. See how far the the Metro Light Rail lines and the Rapid Transit bus system can take you! And for short trips, enjoy the many cycling trails that connect so many features in the Twin Cities.
- As a rule, choose natural techniques over harsh chemicals. It’s notable here that the Webber Natural Swimming Pool, in the Camden neighborhood of north Minneapolis, is our continent’s first public pool to feature natural filtration, using no chemicals and relying on plants instead to treat the water.
- Support community gardens. Take a page from the book of Dayton’s Bluff Community Council. The Minneapolis neighborhood has sustained excellent community garden initiatives, based on the view that “connected communities are stronger and safer.” We couldn’t agree more.
Contact RE/MAX Results-Shannon Lindstrom, REALTOR®, AHWD, CRS, GREEN if you are looking to buy or sell a Minneapolis/St Paul condo, loft, townhome, or single-family home.
Shannon Lindstrom, REALTOR®, AHWD, CRS, GREEN
748 Grand Avenue
St. Paul, MN 55105